Our ancestors have started to use medicinal plants centuries ago. Even now, many of us rely on such traditional remedies. Today, we live in a time when manufactured medicines and prescriptions prevail, but do they have to be the only approach to healing?
Even with all of these engineered options at our fingertips, many people find themselves turning back to the medicinal plants that started it all: Herbal remedies that have the ability to heal and boost physical and mental well-being.
Here is the list of 15 powerful medicinal plants in the world:
In many Asian countries, especially in India, ginger is a part of daily diet. Because the medicinal power of ginger can cure many diseases. The ginger root has many remedial actions including antibacterial, antiviral and antioxidant.
· Ginger juice can balance the digestive process.
· Improves the nutrients absorption power of the body.
· Anti-inflammatory properties of ginger can cure joint pain.
· Ginger could keep away nausea in post-surgery.
· Helps to fight against cancer, diabetics and asthma
· Clears and charges up the microcirculatory channels of the body.
Lavender is one of best remedies for a glowing skin. This purple beauty in your garden also has many medicinal properties. The oil extracted from lavender flowers has antibacterial and antiviral properties. It is also beneficial in many medical conditions like anxiety, stress and insomnia.
· Lavender oil can keep away dandruff and can cool down your scalp.
· Helps to get relief from dryness, itching and swelling of skin.
· One the best antidepressants.
· Better solution for sunburn and headache.
· Provides prevention for airborne viruses.
Garlic is a member of the onion family. It is used in many countries in various dishes. Garlic is also a popular herb. It can heal a wide range of diseases. It is low in calories and rich in nutrients. Garlic contains Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Manganese and Fiber. The sulphur rich, strong pungent smell of garlic also can keep away insects and even snakes.
· Provides better protection against cancer infections.
· Helps to Improve your immunity.
· Balances the digestive system and improves nutrient absorption power of the body.
· Reduces blood pressure and reduces chances of cardiovascular problems.
· Prevention against allergies and improves iron metabolism.
· Quick relief from toothache and detoxifies your body.
Spinach is the edible flowering plant native to Central Asia. This crispy, leafy vegetable also has powerful healing ability. It is a great source of vitamins and minerals. Spinach contains Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Manganese, Folate, Magnesium, Iron, Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Zinc, Phosphorous, Vitamin B3 and Selenium.
· The presence of riboflavin, beta carotene and lutein in spinach improves cardiovascular system and nervous system.
· It protects your eyesight, strengthens your bones and fights against cancer.
· The antioxidant properties help to reduce the chances of DNA damages.
· Effective solution for diabetics and cancer.
· Reduces blood pressure and prevents the chances of insomnia, tumors, neuritis and obesity.
· Balances the cholesterol level in the body.
· The high concentration of Vitamin K in spinach protects your nerve system.
Catnip or catmint is native from Europe and central Asia. It is now largely cultivated in all parts of the world. Now it is widely popular in the world because of its health benefits.
· It is a powerful detoxifier, helps to sweat out toxic elements from your body.
· One of the best natural medicines for headache and migraine.
· Relaxing property by calming down the nervous system.
· Quick relief from toothache.
· Balances digestive system
Thyme is widely used as an aromatic plant. Its flowers, leaves and oil also have many health benefits. In Ancient Egypt, the thyme was used for embalming and to heal many other medical conditions. Thyme plant has anti-fungal, anti-viral, antiseptic and anti-parasitic properties.
· Better prevention against food-borne bacterial infections.
· Balances blood pressure level.
· Keeps away the chances of colon cancer.
· Solution for skin problems such as dryness, redness and swelling.
· Quick relief from cold and cough.
· Acts as a relaxing herb by calming down the nervous system.
7. Tea Tree
The tea tree oil is a popular herbal remedy. This herbal oil is derived from the leaves of tea trees native to coastal areas of Australia. The tea tree plants are highly priced in Australia. The tea tree oil has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. This herbal oil is nowadays used in soaps, lotions and shampoos.
· Tea tree oil is used for infection of the nail, skin, mouth and nose.
· Makes persistent body odor.
· Prevention against head lice.
· Quick relief from cuts and burns.
· Faster dandruff cleaner and makes scalps remain cool.
· Cures headache, cold and toothache.
8. Lady Ferns
Lady ferns is a long, light green plant native to the northern hemisphere. It is commonly used for decorations and to make a number of recipes. Lady Ferns can also heal a various number of diseases. The roots and stems of lady ferns are used for medicinal purposes.
· Recommended herb for the lack of appetite, fever and cough.
· Faster relief from cuts and sunburn.
· Prevention against harmful worms.
· Balances the digestive system.
· Prevention against Asthma, pneumonia and bronchitis.
Sage is a powerful herb with beautiful flowers and soft leaves. This plant grows in home gardens. The stem, flower and leaves of sage can cure a number of diseases in an effective way. The sage is very rich in nutrients and antioxidants.
· Improves your memory power.
· Can instantly reduce depression.
· Natural remedy for healing wounds.
· Balances stomach problems.
· Relief from toothache and keeps away bad breath.
· Prevents the chances of infection to lungs, nose and throat.
· One of best antiseptic herbs.
Peppermint is a hybrid plant mainly cultivated in Europe. Peppermint oil is widely used as a food flavor. This plant also has a calming effect and offers many other health benefits. Peppermint also has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
· Improves digestive system and nutrient absorption power of the body.
· The concentration of methanol in peppermint can prevent prostate cancer.
· Usage of peppermint oil could enhance memory power and alertness.
· Effectively prevent sinus infections.
· Quick relief from body pain.
Marigold is a flowering plant that grows in a wide range of soils. Marigolds are used in many summer dishes to add color. This plant can also cure many skin problems. It can also effectively reduce body scars.
· Instant relief from fever.
· Can cure swollen body parts within a short time.
· Solution for all wounds and burns.
· One of the best herbs for headache and toothache.
· Anti-inflammatory properties of marigold help to cure allergies.
· Optimizes the growth of new blood vessels and new skin issues.
· Reduces the chances of tumors.
12. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is also known as red pepper which is commonly used as flavor for many dishes. Cayenne pepper is cultivated from various parts of the world. It is also used as an herb from old time onward. Cayenne pepper helps to stimulate the blood circulation, nutrient absorption power of the body and restoration of digestive secretions.
· Improves digestive power of the body.
· Prevents fungus and keeps away flu affection.
· Prevents blood clots and stimulates production of saliva.
· Improves your heart health.
· Quick relief from joint pain and migraine.
· Reduces the chance for cancer affection.
Native to Central America, Echinacea is a flowering plant commonly known as coneflower. It is also a popular herb in the world. The leaves, flowers, stems and roots of echinacea can be used for medical purposes. This herb works as active chemicals in your body and fights against fungus, reduces flu and inflammation.
· Best anti-inflammatory herb for stiffness of joints.
· Improves immunity power of the body.
· Roots of Echinacea widely exported for medical purposes.
· Stimulates the growth of blood cells.
· Prevention against chances for cold, bronchitis and sore throats.
Dandelion is an edible flowering plant that widely grows in South America. The flowers, stem and leaves of dandelion plants are also used in production of a number of medicines. Dandelion is a rich source of vitamins and nutrients. It is also used to make wine and coffee substitutes.
· Can cure liver problems.
· Acts as a cleaning tonic for blood vessels.
· Balances blood sugar level and cholesterol level.
· Prevention against gallstones.
· Quick relief to ankle swelling.
· Improves the function of pancreas.
The chamomile flowering plant has a long tradition of using it as an important herb. Its beautiful flowers contain a number of volatile oils including bisabolol, matricin, bisabolol A and Bisabolol B. Chamomile can heal many diseases with no side effects.
· Prevents diabetics and muscle spasms.
· Full care for skin.
· Reduces morning sickness during pregnancy.
· Fights against inflammation and teething problems.
· Prevention against bacterial affections.
· Balances the digestive system and prevents the chances of stomach pain.
· Reduces chances of cancer.
· Helps to grow thick black hair.
· Best herb choice for muscle relaxation.
· Maintains sugar balance in the blood and reduces heartburn.· Eliminates dandruff and cools the scalp.